Security agencies have raided the parliamentary offices of former Speaker Anita Annet Among, marking a dramatic escalation in ongoing investigations into alleged corruption.

The offices, located on the fifth floor, north wing of the Parliamentary Chambers, were stormed by a joint team of police and military investigators at around 9:00am. The team immediately sealed off the area, declaring it a crime scene and restricting all movement in and out of the premises.

Sources within Parliament said the operation is part of a broader investigation that began over the weekend, with authorities intensifying efforts to gather evidence linked to the former Speaker.

The latest raid follows earlier coordinated searches on Saturday targeting Among’s residences in Nakasero, Kigo and Ntinda. Investigators are reportedly collecting documentary and electronic evidence that could be used in a potential prosecution.

The probe has also extended to the home of her husband, Moses Magogo, as authorities widen the scope of their inquiries.

The sweeping operation has sent shockwaves through Parliament, with several staff members already caught up in the crackdown. Among those arrested is Chris Obore, the Director of Communications at Parliament, while other officials are said to be under scrutiny.

In what insiders describe as growing anxiety within political and administrative circles, several parliamentary staff and legislators have gone quiet on social media, with some making their accounts private. Others, including Members of Parliament previously seen as close to Among, have reportedly removed her images from their profiles, signalling a rapid shift in allegiances.

The developments come just days after Among announced her withdrawal from the race for Speaker of Parliament, a decision widely seen as linked to mounting pressure from the unfolding investigations.

In a statement issued on Monday, Among said her decision followed “wide consultations and deep introspection,” and was intended to preserve unity within the ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM).

“I wish to draw the attention of the public to matters regarding the Speakership race. After wide consultations and deep introspection, and to maintain harmony and clarity in my beloved party, the National Resistance Movement (NRM), I wish to categorically and unequivocally state that I will not be offering myself for the Speakership of the 12th Parliament,” she said.

While authorities have yet to publicly detail the specific allegations against her, the scale and coordination of the operations suggest an intensifying investigation that could have far-reaching political implications.

By press time, security remained heavily deployed at Parliament, with access to the affected offices still restricted as investigators continued their work.

Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts